Boy group GOT7 and JYP Entertainment have ended their 7-year partnership as the members decided to not renew their exclusive contracts.
- GOT7 Jinyoung Offered To Star On Upcoming Drama 'Yumi's Cells'
- The Least To Most Even Line Distributions Of The 15 Top Boy Group Debut MVs
- How Fair Are The Line Distributions Of The 20 Most Watched K-Pop Boygroup MVs Ever?
This is the result of in-depth discussions between the members and the management company ahead of the expiration of GOT7's exclusive contract on January 19.
"GOT7 has been active as a global idol group representing K-Pop for more than seven years since their debut on January 16, 2014," JYP said. "We would like to express our sincere thanks to all the fans 'IGOT7' who have been the driving force behind GOT7's activities."
"Our official relationship will be concluded, but JYP will sincerely support the new future of the GOT7 members," they said.
Below is JYP Entertainment's official position:
"Hello, we're JYP Entertainment.
JYP had an in-depth discussion with the members on January 19 ahead of the expiration of our exclusive contracts with our artist GOT7.
As a result, both sides agreed not to re-sign the contract, hoping for a new future.
GOT7 has been a global idol group representing K-pop for 7 years since their debut on January 16, 2014.
We would like to thank GOT7, who has been with the growth of K-Pop and JYP, and our fans, including IGOT7, who have been the driving force behind GOT7's activities with generous support with their debut.
The official relationship will be over, but JYP will sincerely support the new future of GOT7 members.
As Korean media outlet Dispatch earlier reported, each member will have a different path after their contracts expire, although they will stay together as a group:
- Jinyoung is preparing to sign an exclusive contract with BH Entertainment, and is still discussing the details.
- Yugyeom is expected to join AOMG, and is already in the final discussion stage. He expressed the desire to pursue hip-hop and dance more professionally.
- JB received many invitations from hip-hop labels, and is aiming to become a solo artist.
- Jackson will continue to work with his Chinese agency TEAM WANG. His schedules in South Korea will be managed by another company.
- BamBam will be active in South Korea and Thailand, and is considering signing with MAKEUS Entertainment.
- Youngjae received an offer from Sublime Artist Agency (which manages Rain, Hani...), and is expected to develop a career in music, CF...
- Mark will return to the U.S. and spend time with his family in LA. He intends to open a YouTube channel and consider solo activities in the U.S..