News website KpopStarz recently wrote an article about 15 idol groups with the strongest vocal lines in K-Pop. KpopStarz is introduced as the most comprehensive K-Pop news website in the US, with about 2.5 million likes on Facebook. The post attracted the attention of not only international fans, but also the Korean online community.
In no particular order, here are 15 idol groups with the strongest vocal lines in K-Pop selected by the site:
Super Junior – Super Junior-K.R.Y (Kyuhyun, Ryeowook and Yesung)
SNSD – SNSD-TaeTiSeo (Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun) and Sunny
SHINee – Onew, Jonghyun, Taemin and Key
EXO – D.O., Chen, Baekhyun
BTOB – Seo Eunkwang, Lee Changsub, Im Hyunsik and Yook Sungjae
Red Velvet – Wendy, Seulgi and Joy
NCT 127 – Taeil, Doyoung, Haechan and Jaehyun
JYJ – Jaejoong, Yoochun and Junsu
GOT7 – Youngjae, JB and Jinyoung
SEVENTEEN – Vocal Team (Woozi, Jeonghan, Joshua, DK and Seungkwan)
SISTAR – Soyou and Hyorin
HIGHLIGHT (formerly BEAST)
EXID – Solji, Hyerin and Hani
It can be seen that all 15 groups mentioned above are names that are always highly appreciated for their vocal skills as well as live singing on stage. Their performances not only made fans proud but also received a lot of praise from non-fans and netizens. In particular, SM Entertainment continues to prove their position as the leading entertainment company in producing excellent vocalists. Nearly all the groups they have released from the second generation of K-Pop up to now are on the list of idol groups with strong vocal lines, from veteran idols like SNSD or Super Junior to the latest group NCT.
In addition, many people also realize the absence of the three popular K-Pop groups in the above list, which are BTS, TWICE and BLACKPINK. Even with the impressive achievements and records set in the past years, these 3 groups still cannot name themselves on the list of idol groups with highly appreciated vocal lines.
However, the absence of BTS, TWICE, and BLACKPINK did not surprise Korean netizens. On the contrary, many comments also agreed with and praised KpopStarz’s choice when they ignored popularity and truly made the list based on the vocals of the groups.
Some typical comments from Knet:
- “SM is really strong in terms of vocals… The special point in SM songs is the chorus and harmony. If you want to mix it well, all members must be able to sing to a certain extent. No need to discuss the singing ability of the main vocalists, even SM’s rappers and dancers can sing very well.”
- “BTOB-BLUE rule the world!”
- “When will TaeTiSeo make their comeback?”
- “MAMAMOO, Highlight, DAY6 really don’t have any flaws…”
- “Our JoWenSeul!”
- “It’s been a long time since I saw an unbiased ranking like this, so it looks really good. It doesn’t take popularity into account, that’s what all rankings should do.”
- “They didn’t list the members of the vocal lines of MAMAMOO, Highlight and DAY6, because every member is a good vocalist.”
- “Luckily that group is not here…”
- “Let’s debut the JoWenSeul unit now!”
- “Many young fans don’t seem to know Xiah Junsu and Hero Jaejoong? Their talents are really crazy”
- “DAY6 really has a lot of good songs. If you’ve never listened to their music, check it now and listen to any song of them. Try listening to it once. People will soon find out that their music is just great. “
- “Very proud of GOT7’s main vocalists duo.”
- “SHINee has 5 members but except for the rapper, all the other 4 members are good at singing. Amazing…”
- “Our Main Vocalists… You guys are the best…”
- “Please try listening to NCT U’s ‘Coming Home’! The combination of Taeil, Doyoung, Jaehyun and Haechan is great”
Do you agree with the list of 15 K-Pop idol groups with the strongest vocal lines selected by KpopStarz? Which other groups do you think deserves to be named on this list?